Sunday, June 11, 2006

Some of My Favorite Jim Elliot Quotes:

God, I pray Thee, light these idle sticks of my life and may I burn for Thee. Consume my life, my God, for it is Thine. I seek not a long life, but a full one, like you, Lord Jesus.”

“Father, let me be weak that I might loose my clutch on everything temporal. My life, my reputation, my possessions, Lord, let me loose the tension of the grasping hand.”

“I covenanted with the Father that He would do either of two things: either glorify Himself to the utmost in me or slay me. By His grace I shall not have His second best.”

“O Christ, let me know Thee--let me catch glimpses of Thyself, seated and expectant in glory, let me rest there despite all wrong surging round me. Lead me in the right path, I pray.”

“Father, take my life, yea, my blood if Thou wilt, and consume it with Thine enveloping fire. I would not save it, for it is not mine to save. Have it Lord, have it all. Pour out my life as an oblation for that world. Blood is only of value as it flows before Thine altar.”

“God deliver me from the dread asbestos of ‘other things.’ Saturate me with the oil of the Spirit that I may be a flame for you.”

“He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.”

4 comments:

pastor justin said...

Notice that the first line of the first quote is bolded.
No prayer has been as prayed by me as this one outside of Bible prayers. Most mornings, as I fight for joy, you can hear me saying, "God, light these idle sticks of my life and may I burn for you."

Mark Redfern said...

One more:

"Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road; make me a fork, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me."

Rob Tombrella said...

"Saturate me with the oil of your Spirit that I might be aflame for You."

Elliot was big on being "on fire" "aflame" "lit" "burning" for Christ.

Wasn't one quote something like, "He makes His ministers flames of fire---Lord make me this way." ??

Jim Elliot quotes said...

Some love Jim Elliot quotes compilation. I have compiled many quotes fro you. Thanks!!